Your doctor’s appointments are an opportunity to make the most of your health care visit. However, as a patient, you may feel limited by the amount of time that you have with their doctor, or may feel pressured to make your concerns quick and to the point.
Your health and wellness is a top priority in your life. The following tips can help you prepare for a successful and efficient health care visit with doctor.
- Ask questions. When you visit your doctor, make sure you bring with you a list of questions you want to ask him or her. Being prepared for your visit will help alleviate stress and frustration.
- Be upfront. If there is something you are unsure about, but are afraid to ask, ask it anyway. Remember: your health and wellness is of the utmost importance. Don’t leave the doctor’s office with questions unanswered.
- Medications. Part of preparing for your doctor’s visit is ensuring that you have all of your medications with you. When your doctor has full disclosure on what is happening in your life, he or she can help you more efficiently and effectively.
- Support network. There may come a time when you require extra support during your doctor’s visit. Maybe you are extremely concerned about a health situation and need to have a friend or family member with you. If you are facing a serious health condition, bringing someone with you to the appointment will not only give you a shoulder to lean on, but can be a great support when it comes to understanding the information the doctor is providing.
- Be open and honest. If something is concerning you, if you are embarrassed about an issue, maybe you forgot to do what the doctor ordered the first time around and now the condition has become worse, just tell it like it is. Your doctor knows that not everyone is going to follow a doctor’s advice. Your doctor can better treat you when he or she is fully aware of what is happening.
Following these tips can lead to better communication and a more effective relationship with your healthcare practitioner.